Skip to content

Liquid Gold

January 26, 2010

At 7 months old, my little girl still receives about 97% of her nutrition from breastmilk. The rest of the 3% comes from whatever may or may not make it in her little mouth when Daddy plays airplane with the spoon full of whatever I put in the mini-food processor.

Understandably, I’ve been drawn to images and footage of babies in Haiti, and also thinking about breastfed babies when something tragic and unexpected happens to their mamas.

I’ve found some amazing stories I’m compiling that have to do with using breastmilk to help babies. What a beautiful, selfless act.

  • Urgent Call for Human Milk Donations for Haiti Infants
    “The Human Milk Banking Association of North America (HMBANA), United States Breastfeeding Committee (USBC), International Lactation Consultant Association/United States Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA/USLCA), and La Leche League International (LLLI) are jointly issuing an urgent call for human milk donations for premature infants in Haiti, as well as sick and premature infants in the United States. An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant stationed at the U.S. Navy base in Bethesda, MD is assisting with providing breast pump equipment and supplies to the “Comfort.” Dr. Erika Beard-Irvine, pediatric neonatologist, is on board the “Comfort” to coordinate distribution of the milk to infants in need. HMBANA, USBC, ILCA/USLCA, and LLL are responding to requests to provide milk for both premature infants and at-risk mothers who have recently delivered babies on board the U.S.N.S. Comfort, but an urgent need exists for additional donations.”
  • Women form nonprofit to feed babies in crisis from the Orlando Sentinel
    “Get PUMPed! hopes to help babies whose mothers have died, like baby Sara’s, or babies whose mothers are sick and cannot breast-feed, such as cancer patients who are undergoing chemotherapy. Other babies who may be eligible for the milk are adopted babies and those in foster care, she said.”
  • Human Milk Banking Association of North America
  • My closest one is in Raleigh, right down the road from me.

  • Nursing Moses from CNN and People

From MiningJournal.net:
Goodrich said he believes his late wife would have wanted the story to be told, although she was a very private person.

“She is such a big advocate of breast-feeding, about healthy child-rearing and (preventing) infant fatality,” he said. “Those are things she was keenly aware of.”

As for the possibility of fame or attention from TV icons such as Oprah or “The Today Show” that may come with the story being published in the magazine, Goodrich said he is not comfortable with fame. For him, the broader message of his tragic story is what’s important.

“I think there is a valuable story about community, breast-feeding and natal fatality,” he said.

Please leave a comment with links if you know of any other stories.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: